About Collegiate Church of St. Mary and St. Alexius in Tum
Is one of the most magnificent monuments of Romanesque architecture in Poland. It has been a witness to history of Poland for almost one thousand years.
The construction, initiated by Duchess Salomea who, after death of Bolesław the Wrymouthed her husband, stayed in Leczyca, commenced by action of archbishop of Gniezno – Jacob of Żnin, though some sources mention bishop Alexander of Mallonne.
The temple was consecrated by archbishop Janik on 21 May 1161.
The collegiate church burnt down a number of times and was rebuilt afterwards. Nowadays, it is a threeaisled oriented basilica with two apses, built of stone blocks connected by means of calcareous mortar, with layering of granite blocks and sandstone elements of decoration seen by the windows, cornices and at the edges of the towers. From the west side, there are two quadrilateral towers and from the east, two round turrets. The entrance is located on the western facade. The vestibule shelters the most wellknown monument – a basrelief depicting the figure of Madonna with Child adored by two angels.
INFORMATION ON THE PARISH
Holy Masses on Sundays at 8:00; 10:00; 12:00
Holy Masses on weekdays:
in May and June at 6:00 pm
in October and November at 5:00 pm
second Sunday of the month at 12:00 pm along with display of holy
relics of St. John Paul II
on Sunday falling after the 17th day of each month – at 12:00 p.m. Holy
Mass with display of holy relics of St. Alexius
fourth Sunday of the month at 12:00 – Holy Mass with display of holy
relics of St. Adalbert Church Services:
May, June at 5:30 pm October 4:30 pm
1 May St. Adalbert’s Fair
Sunday falling after 17 July – St. Alexius Fair
Sunday falling after 22 August – Saint Mother Mary the Queen Fair 6 December – St. Nicolas Fair
The end of 10th century –Benedictine Abbey of St. Mary, founded presumably by St. Adalbert; in 1136 – mention of the Abbey made in Bull of Gniezno: ITEM ABBATIA SANCTE MARIE IN CASTELLO LANCICE
1141 - 1161 in the place of an old abbey the construction process of the present church is underway, thanks to the actions (as it is believed) of Janik, Archbishop of Gniezno;
1161 21 May – consecration, granting of the rank of collegiate and confirmation of church dedication to St. Virgin Mary the Queen and St. Alexius
1294 Burning of the temple perpetrated by Lithuanians under command of prince Vitenes, during Pentecost Mass the clergymen and parishioners are taken prisoners;
1331 Rebuilding process initiated by archbishop Jaroslaw Bogoria Skotnicki. During the works the Romanesque character was partially lost as the ceilings and aisle pillars were built in Gothic style brick;
1360 construction of the Leczyca Castle. From that moment on, events of national importance start to take place there
15th and 16th centuries The collegiate church endures being a meeting place of many important conventions;
1473 Fire. Priceless archives and treasury are burnt down.
1487 Completion of the reconstruction process. Again, Gothic elements are added.
1569 Trojan of Ślesin, the Dean of Kalisz, orders to build the vestibule to protect the basrelief.
1633 Remodeling of the vestibule to the state known at present done by master mason Lenart
1705 destruction of the church by Swedes
1761 the Primate Władysław Aleksander Łubieński issues a decision on the collegiate church renovation
The first half of the 18th century, esp. 1782-85 – serious alteration is carried out by Efraim Schroeder; new tops of the towers are built
1819 closedown of the Chapter by orders of tsar Alexander I. From that moment the church functions as a parish, formerly located in the erected nearby, 12thcentury wooden church of St. Nicholas;
1939 10 September – Polish artillery damages one of the church towers – a German observer’s hideout; wooden equipment and architectural details are burnt down; the walls also suffered damage;
1948 - 1961 Reconstruction works of the temple supervised by Jan Koszczyc Witkiewicz. Lasting several years, the Romanesque character of the building is restored leaving only Gothic aisles. The nave is covered by reinforced concrete ceiling.
1961 17 June – Reconsecration of the church by bishop Michal Klepacz
1967 11 June – Ceremonious Commemoration of Millennium of the Baptism of Poland, the Holy Mass celebrated by Cardinal Karol Wojtyła;
1993 restoration of the Tum Chapter
1995 - 2008 Renovation works in progress financed from the Ministry of National Culture and Heritage fund;
21.05.2011 Celebration of 850th Anniversary of the Collegiate Church consecration; marked by the presence of Apostolic Nuncio – Celestino Migliore, the bishop of Łowicz – Andrzej Dziuba, and the President of Poland;
1.05.2016 regional celebrations of 1050th Anniversary of the Baptism of Poland, 855th Anniversary of the church consecration
17.07.2016 Introduction of holy relics of St. Alexius – the parish patron Saint by the bishop of Łowicz – Andrzej F. Dziuba.